Tuesday, August 10, 2010

sad and thoughtful


We traveled back to Barrow Friday night. It is always quite the trip. We were tired and ready for some down time, when we realized we had no hot water. So, the next day DH tried to fix it, several different ways and trips out to the only builder store in our area here. Finally we had to just replace it. We got the last one they had. Along the way, one of our friend's flagged us down and told us about our son's close friend who had died in a boating accident the evening before. It was so shocking, and sad. He was such a good friend to our family and our son. They're 13, and have been in class since first grade. Both boys were getting ready to have birthdays next month, but he won't get to start 8th grade. School starts for the rest of his classmates next week, and he will be greatly missed. I will miss his big smile, and his sense of humor. I will miss walking in the door on Friday afternoons from a long week of working with kids to the sounds of shouts and gunshots, having my son and his two friends shooting "Nazi Zombies" on his Xbox. Then they'd stay over and go fencing with us the next day. I feel for his parents, and sisters and brothers. I feel for my son, who's really missing him everytime he goes out to the school for football practice, and when school starts, and during PE and Band that they had together every day. I am sad that he barely got to live life, I am glad that he seemed to do everything to the fullest, and genuinely enjoyed life. He believed in God, so I have comfort knowing he is in Heaven. But, for those of us left here, especially the people he laughed with every single day, what a huge loss! Heaven must have been getting pretty dull, and needed a star like him.
This is the second close friend my son has lost tragically. I worry about him too.

1 comment:

Inking Alaska said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with MR. man as always - Let me know if I can help in anyway... Miss you guys... Talk to you soon. Give my love to him -